Friday, July 4, 2014

Pin It
 Angela's Potato Casserole                                              I got this recipe from Angela...a dear church friend. She hosted our Ladies Meeting and served this dish along with a spread fit for a king. I just couldn't stop eating this...it was habit forming and when you make it you will see why. So Yummy!!!  She didn't give me a name for it so I just call it Angela's Potato Casserole.                                                                                                       
Ingredients:                                                                       
Potatoes (5-8 lbs.) I use Idaho or Russet...both are tasty
Kosher Salt (1 tsp. for the boiling pot and 1 tsp. for the casserole dish)
1 stick Butter (melted) plus 1/2 stick for boiling potatoes
2 cups shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack but use whatever you like.)
Bacon (1 lb.) 
Green Onions (5 or 6 chopped)

Directions:

Peel, chop, and boil potatoes. Place them in a large boiling pot and cover with cold water till about 2 inches over the top. I season with 1/2 stick butter and 1 tsp. salt. Boil until tender but not falling apart. 

In a 9 x 13 casserole dish place boiled potatoes. I dip them from the boiling pot into the casserole dish with a slotted spoon. I then pour one cup of the liquid from the boiling pot over the potatoes. It helps to keep them moist during baking. 

Top with 1 tsp. salt, melted butter and shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

While casserole is baking fry up the bacon and chop the green onions. I let my oven do double duty by baking the bacon at the same time as the casserole. Just place bacon in a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish and bake for about 20 minutes. However you like to cook your bacon is fine. I like mine crispy...my son like his not so crispy so I fix some both ways.

When the casserole comes out of the oven top with bacon and green onions.

I promise you that this will not be the last time you fix this dish...your family will love it. I made it 3 times one week and every bite was gone but if you do have leftovers they are delicious reheated in the microwave.

Oh by the way, the reason you only see green onions on half the casserole in the picture would be my son Daniel's fault...he doesn't like them.  Yeah, I don't understand it either but I try to please...lol


No comments:

Post a Comment