Sunday, July 29, 2012

Homemade Banana Pudding

Pin It
I've been making this recipe for 25 years but I don't remember where I got it. Well, in any case....it's so Good! We used to have big family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas...aunts, uncles, cousins, stray relatives...the house was bursting at the seams and each family had their special dish they brought...this Banana Pudding was my signature dish. It got a lot of compliments and there were never any leftovers. Times change and people are busy now days so it's been a long time since we've had a family gathering like that but I still make this Banana Pudding for my children and grandchildren. I fixed this one in the picture for my son today and he took a bite...closed his eyes and said, "Umm" (that's code for...WOW!!! Mom this is really good.) lol

Homemade Banana Pudding

1 bag or box Vanilla Wafers
6 large Bananas
1/2 stick Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 Eggs (separated)
1/2 cup of Sugar
3 cups Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla

Cooking Instructions:

Layer vanilla wafers and bananas in bowl. I start with the 1/3 of the vanilla wafers, slice 3 bananas on top of that and repeat the layers again ending with the vanilla wafers.

Separate the yolks and the whites of the egg. (reserve the whites if you want to make meringue)

Beat the yolks till light yellow and add into 1/2 cup of the milk....mix well...this helps the yolks to mix with the other ingredients more easily.

On medium heat in a large non-stick pan melt the butter and then add the flour. Stir for a minute or two to get the flour taste out.

Add milk and egg mixture and salt and sugar. Stir and keep stirring...it's very important that it not stick. Cook till mixture is thickened and bubbly then add vanilla. If you add the vanilla at the beginning...it will cook out and the results will not be as good.

I pour the mixture through a strainer to make sure all the little bits are out and the pudding is nice and smooth then I pour it over the wafers and bananas.

It's so good to eat when it's warm so I usually get me a taste test right then...lol The rest goes in the fridge.

No meringue for me...I don't care much for it but if you do here is how to do it.

Meringue:

Beat the 3 egg whites till light and fluffy then add 1/4 cup of Sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
Turn oven to Broil. Pour beaten egg whites on top of pudding and broil until meringue is browned.  Keep an eye on it...it goes fast and will burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment