Friday, July 20, 2012

Sweet Milk Biscuits

Pin It

My grandmother (aka: Ma Tisha) used to make the best biscuits.  I have tried every way in the world to make a biscuit as good as hers but as everyone knows you can never cook as good as your grandma. :)  After years of disasters I finally learned how to make a decent tasting biscuit. She made hers with sweet milk and lard and used White Lily Flour...I make mine the same only I use Crisco Shortening. I have a batch in the oven now...they smell wonderful!

Sweet Milk Biscuits

2 cups Flour (self-rising)
1 cup Shortening
1 cup Milk (whole)
1/2 cup butter (melted) for brushing on top when they come out of the oven.

Cooking Instructions:

Sift flour into med. size bowl. Add shortening and milk. Mix all together...that's right...no cutting the shortening into the flour or any strenuous chore like that...lol Now some people do this with a spoon and some dig right in with their hands...the choice is up to you...I've been known to do it both ways.
The dough should now look like a wet sticky mess but not runny. If it looks a tad dry just add a little more milk.


Flour something...counter, pastry sheet or whatever you can roll them out on.

Pour mixture out onto floured surface and sift more flour onto the top...this is to keep your hands from sticking when you dig right in there and start folding the dough over and over on top of itself...don't be afraid to use that flour...sprinkle as many times as you need to. I fold a few times and then sprinkle more flour and then repeat several times.  
Contrary to popular belief I work my biscuit dough into layers by folding it over on itself about 20 times...it does not make the biscuits tough.




Now when you get the dough to where its firmed up enough to roll out...roll it out. I just pat it out with my hand...no rolling pin for me.  I have never got a single complaint about a fingerprint in my biscuits...lol I don't measure but I guess about 3/4 inch thick.





Now cut them out with a biscuit cutter...if you don't have one a Mason Jar Ring will do or some people even cut both ends off a can and use that...I once knew someone that made her biscuits tiny with a tomato paste can. I always make a "crazy biscuit" with the leftover dough. My sister and I used to fight over the crazy biscuit...I don't know why it never occurred to my mother to make two of them.


Place them on a baking dish...I use a glass pan but if you want the bottom of your biscuits browner use a cookie sheet or pizza pan...the darker the pan the more it will brown.


Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  That's how I do it...some like to bake their biscuits at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or so...try it if you like but I think it drys them out. I guess it's according to how much time you have.




When they come out of the oven...brush with melted butter...enjoy! I am eating one right now and MAN!!! Is it GOOD!!!

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered if my mother was the only person who used a tomato paste can and of course I do too. I have been known to buy tomato paste and empty it just to get a new cutter. When going through mom's things that was one of the first things I saw---I had a good cry. She could make biscuits faster and better than anyone I know. It is the perfect size. Your biscuits look much like hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad always called the one made with left over dough the "Annie". Don't ask me why some one named Annie must have made big biscuits. My kids use that term also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my biscuits your way and my wife said " DUDE, these are the best biscuits you every made" Thanks, I love them also.

    ReplyDelete